Melles Research Fund USA (MRF-USA) supports ophthalmological R&D and education performed by the Netherlands Institute for Innovative Ocular Surgery (NIIOS) and NIIOS-USA. Its focus lays on ophthalmic diagnostic methods and surgical techniques in the field of corneal transplantation, cataract, glaucoma and age-related macular degeneration.
- Developing low-risk corneal transplantation techniques
- Developing corneal transplantation techniques for developing countries
- Developing an algorithm for early detection of an upcoming allograft rejection
- Developing techniques for more efficient tissue use
- Developing methods for the early detection and prevention of glaucoma
- Developing methods for the early detection and prevention of age-related macular degeneration
The knowledge gained is taught to ophthalmologists in the Netherlands and abroad through scientific publications, presentations at conferences, fellowships and wetlab courses.